Thursday, January 3, 2008

The pastors are in high school

This new years eve, My church was involved in the second citywide new years service. Last year, we hosted it but this year another church took charge. Before I get to my point, you need some background on my church: We are a church of about 300 or so people and are currently in the process of building a 600 seat sanctuary. We are non-denominational, independent but are of the charismatic, pentecostal type. All this makes us one of the largest Spirit filled church in Reno. My Pastor and youth pastor meet with this group of pastors every week and have been working on this new years service for quite some time. There is prayer every month at a different church from the group each month. Our church usually brings about 100 people to those prayers but the other pastors can barely get their wives to attend. (I tell you all this for context only not to brag)

Every one (as far as leadership, worship team etc...) was fine with not being in charge of the service, especially me because it was a ton of work last year. The way they set up the service was there were four worship teams (including mine) and it was broken into a series of worship service type stuff broken up by performances (songs, drama and such).

This is where my title comes into play: My churches worship team (of which I am a member) was the first on stage and opened the night. About a week prior to the service, the worship leaders all met and were instructed that they had a certain amount of time for their songs. The service was moving as we played, people worshiping and praising God but as we reached middle of our first of two slow/'worship' songs, the Pastor that was MCing the event was on the stairs of the stage looking almost frantic and checking his watch frequently. We finished in the time we were given and just kinda figured that this was going to be how the night would go but when the other worship teams got up to preform, they went substantially over time. This didn't bother me in the sense that it was unfair or anything (when the Spirit moves, He moves). What did bother me however, is that the other churches had this sense of "look Spirit Filled Church, we don't need you".

These other churches are all relatively small (one particular church is the pastor and his wife) and the entire night seemed to be a showcase of how the little churches could gang up and be more important than the bigger church. Why do these pastors see the need to show us up. The entire time these pastors where talking unity but they didn't give that feeling. I guess you had to be there to fully understand the feeling I had. Over all it was a good service but there was this overtone of a showcase of how much my church was not needed.

As Christians, we should be above this and should have true unity. It seems as if pastors are worried about people from their church going seeing another church at some type of unity service and going to that church instead. If a person decides to go to another church then they were probably not supposed to be at your church. Stop trying to show up the other pastors, get out of the high school drama and start praising Christ.

God bless,
Anthony

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there and I disagree in the sense that I didn't get that feeling at all.

Anthony said...

I think the difference in opinion is the amount of interaction with the pastors. Most of the stuff I was refereing to was behind the stage and out of view of the crowd.

God bless,
Anthony

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Anthony, mainly because everytime I tried to be nice to one of the pastors, they were not so nice back. Basically I would smile or say hi, and they would either just stare back, or act as if they didn't notice me... But maybe the other pastors just get nervous around our larger church, because they feel like they have to impress us. I am not sure why, but maybe they feel that way.

 
Christian Blog Topsites